After the recent Newtown, Conn. elementary school massacre which claimed the lives of a number of children, the controversial Westboro Baptist Church announced that they intended to make an appearance during a vigil being held in honor of the dead.
The WBC is well known for spreading hatred at funerals and memorials, so the hacker group Anonymous took immediate action, announcing their intention to actively punish the WBC.
So far, Anonymous has taken the following steps:
- Took down the Westboro Baptist Church website, http://godhatesfags.com/. It is unclear if this is a continuous DOS attackoooh – , a hacked web server, or some other type of attack, but as of this time the site is still down.
- Hacker @cosmothegod took over WBC spokesperson @DearShirley‘s Twitter account, changing her Twitter background.
- @DearShirley‘s Twitter account was summarily suspended.
- Filed for a death certificate for Phelps-Roper.
- Allegedly changed Phelps-Roper’s desktop background to gay porn.
- Took over @WBCFredJr‘s Twitter account.
- Tweeting a White House petition to recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group from @DearShirley and @ accounts.
- Tweeted the alleged hotel WBC members are staying at.
- Shared an entire list of Westboro Baptist Church members, including addresses, SSNs, phone numbers, and more. Here’s the entire list.
- @YourAnonNews is also asking followers to sign a petition to “Legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group.”
- Another petition wants to: “Remove the Westboro Baptist Church’s 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status, and make it retroactive.”
If you are aware of others, please let us know so we can update the list.