Cali touched briefly on Sony’s new NGP, or Next Generation Portable in episode #132 yesterday. Since then we’ve learned more, and as promised, we’ve got the details for you right here.
This is a machine that really transcends the current conception of what portables are capable of. Check out these specs:
- Coretx-A9 quad-core processor
- SGX543MP4+ GPU
- Dual-axis control sticks
- Front and rear cameras
- A rear multi-touch capacitive touch pad
- Six-axis motion sensors and compass
- Wireless 3G, 802×11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1
- Flash memory card support
- GPS & Wifi-location support
There are those saying that the PSP2 is as powerful as the PS3. While I can’t say whether that’s true, a quad-core processor in a mobile device is VERY impressive.
Gone from the device is UMD support, not much of a surprise since that was also lacking in the PSP-Go. Software and games can be acquired over wifi or 3G or via flash memory cards.
Games that have been announced include:
- Hustle Kings
- Hot Shots Golf
- PSone games (via Playstation Suite platform)
- Backwards compatibility with downloadable PSP games
This is supposed to launch during the holiday season this year. No word on price yet. What do you think? Is this a must-buy? Let us know in the comments.