I recently stepped into the world of Apple with my purchase of a MacBook Pro. Being a PC guy since 1993, I swore I would never become an Apple user. However, and I am by no means a “fanboy”, I have to say I am pleased and haven’t regretted my purchase. The 13-inch MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM that I purchased came preinstalled with a 250GB hard drive. I haven’t come close to filling the drive. However, I knew I would need more space eventually. So while hanging out at the Livid Lobster HQ, John P turned me on to the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid Hard drive.
What makes this drive so special? Well, it’s a hybrid drive or HHD. It has the traditional mechanical disk drives but also a 4GB SSD drive as well. The SSD comes with a algorithm known as Adaptive Memory which places the most frequently used data into the 4GB memory space. This decreases read access time, thus speeding up your machine.
Installing the Seagate Momentus was no different than any other 2.5-inch laptop hard drive. I used the Coolmax SATA and IDE-USB 2.0 converter to clone my current drive. Cloning was simple and easy with the the Coolmax. It took approximately 35 minutes to transfer to the Seagate Momentus. Once the transfer was complete, I simply installed the new Momentus into my laptop. On the initial boot up it took a few extra minutes, but this was the only time I waited more than a minute. I initially started the most frequent applications and then restarted. Each time I noticed a faster boot time. After a month of use on this drive, I am seeing boot times drop from 1 minute 46 seconds to a blazing 47 seconds. I have to admit, I haven’t seen any PC boot that fast.
Features and Specifications
- Higher productivity – less wait time
- Up to 50% faster boot-up speed
- Twice the overall performance
- Seagate 5-year Limited Warranty
- Mainstream and high performance laptops
- Gaming laptops and desktops
- Fast external enclosures: USB 3.0, eSATA
- Small form factor PCs
- Brand: Seagate
- Drive Type: 2.5-inch hybrid hard drive
- Connector: SATA 3Gbps
- Capacity: 500GB (ST95005620AS)
- Height: 9.7mm (0.378in)
- Width: 70.10mm (2.76in)
- Length: 100.55mm (3.959in)
- Weight (typical): 110g (0.238lb)
- Spin Speed: 7200rpm
- Average latency: 4.17ms
- Random read seek time: 11ms
- Random write seek time: 13ms
- I/O data transfer rate: 300MB/s
- Average idle power: 0.8W
- Average operating power: 1.1W
- Average seek power: 2.2W
- Special Features: Built-in 4GB of SLC NAND flash memory READ cache, with Adaptive Memory technology
- Software included: None
- Operating System: Windows, Mac, Linux (and any OS that has the driver for it)
After using the new drive for little over a month now, I am extremely pleased with its performance. I have even noticed better battery life as well. The Adaptive Memory technology works very well, the more I use the same applications the faster they load. Keep in mind that every user is not the same, so your load times may very. This is a great, fairly cheap (about $100) upgrade to the standard hard drive that ships with any computer.
Have you purchased this drive? Let us know your results in the comments below.