A few months back, Sony ushered in the era of full-frame mirrorless cameras with the a7 and a7R. Now they’re adding a new member to the line, the a7S. What makes the Alpha a7S is the 12.2mp 35mm full-frame sensor. Yes, it’s much smaller in megapixel rating than the 24.3mp A7 or the 36.4mp A7R, but what it lacks in pixels, it makes up for in 4K. Yes, the a7S can shoot 4K Ultra HD video, albeit to an external 4K recording device. Recording to the internal memory card is still 1080p. It also has Full Pixel Read-out and without pixel binning.
For other features, he a7S features an insane ISO range from 50 to 409,600. That’s in the same ballpark as the Nikon D4S. It should give you upper echelon low light performance and a huge dynamic range. Getting back to the video side, it adopts pro video-friendly XAVC S codec in addition to consumer-friendly AVCHD and MP4. Lastly, Sony is adding a new video friendly powered zoom lens in 28-135.
Pricing and a release date are both TBA on the a7S and the new zoom lens.
Sony’s α7S Full-Frame Camera Realizes a New World of Imaging Expression
Features newly developed, wide dynamic range sensor with awe-inspiring sensitivity
SAN DIEGO, April 6, 2014 – Joining the acclaimed α7 and α7R family of the world’s smallest full-frame interchangeable lens cameras1, Sony’s new α7S model puts extraordinary sensitivity, low noise and spectacular 4K video quality into the hands of professional photographers and videographers.
The innovative α7S camera features a newly developed, 12.2 effective megapixel 35mm Exmor® CMOS sensor paired with a powerful BIONZ X image processor, allowing it to shoot at a sensitivity range of ISO 50 – 4096002 with unprecedented dynamic range and low noise.
The new model is also the world’s first camera to utilize the entire width of a full-frame image sensor in 4K video acquisition, and does this without cropping or line skipping as it can read and process data from every one of the sensor’s pixels. This allows 4K video shooters to utilize all of the artistic and creative benefits provided by the unique sensor.
“The α7S gives Sony the most complete, versatile lineup of full-frame cameras in market today,” said Neal Manowitz, director of the interchangeable lens camera business at Sony Electronics. “Between the α99, VG900, RX1, α7, α7R and now α7S models, we have completely revolutionized what it means to be a ‘full-frame’ camera, bringing a new level of quality and portability to enthusiast photographers and videographers.”
Wide ISO Sensitivity (ISO 50 – 409,6002) and Impressive Dynamic Range
Sony, the world’s largest manufacturer of image sensors, has developed a unique 12.2 MP sensor with extraordinary sensitivity that allows the α7S camera to collect dramatically more light than traditional cameras and to produce beautifully detailed, low-noise images in even the darkest environments.
The camera also features a newly developed on-sensor technology that allows it to optimize the dynamic range throughout the entirety of the ISO50 – 409,600 sensitivity range. This on-sensor technology also broadens the range of tonal gradation in bright environments and minimizes noise in dark scenes, allowing the camera to deliver impressive results in these extreme conditions where other cameras (and image sensors) typically struggle.
World’s First Full-Frame Camera with Full Pixel Read-out3 (without pixel binning) during Movie Shooting
With the new α7S camera, the high-speed read out of the 35mm full-frame image sensor combined with the high-speed processing of the BIONZ X processor enables significant improvements in video quality.
These powerful components allow the camera to process data from all of the sensor’s pixels and output stunning HD and 4K (QFHD 3840 x 2160 pixels) video3 while utilizing the full-width of the sensor. In addition to the benefits for low-light shooting, the read out of all pixels frees the video from aliasing, moiré and false color artifacts (as opposed to pixel binning) to achieve the highest quality video.
Additional Pro-Quality Video Functions
In video mode, the α7S can output 4K video4 at QFHD (3840×2160) to an optional external 3rd party 4K recorder, and can record full HD (1920×1080) at frame rates of 60p, 60i, 30p and 24p directly to a compatible memory card. Video modes can be changed from full-frame to APS-C (super 35mm equivalent) if desired, and in this crop mode, the camera can support high frame rate 120fps shooting at standard HD resolution (1280 x 720p), creating a 5x slow-motion effect.
The α7S camera is also equipped with S-Log2 gamma. Common to Sony’s range of professional video cameras, S-Log2 expands the dynamic range by up to 1300% to minimize clipped highlights and loss of detail in shadows. Additionally, for the first time ever in a Sony α camera, the α7S adopts the workflow-friendly XAVC S recording format in addition to AVCHD and MP4 codecs. XAVC S format allows for full HD recording at a data rate of 50 mbps with lower compression for improved video quality.
Other specialist video functions on the new camera include a picture profile that can adjust settings like gamma, black, level and color adjustment, and can be saved for use in a multi-camera shoot. It also has Full HD and 4K base band HDMI® output, time code/user bit for easier editing, synchronous recording feature with compatible devices, various marker and zebra displays on both the LCD screen and viewfinder and can dual record XAVC S as well as MP4 (1280×720 @30p).
The camera also has a Multi-terminal interface shoe that is compatible with Sony’s XLR Adaptor Microphone Kits (XLR-K1M plus a new model under development), allowing the use of professional microphone systems.
Low-light Shooting Advantages
The high ISO sensitivity range of the α7S camera is extremely effective for still image shooting, especially in low-light conditions, where the camera can shoot at high shutter speeds while keeping noise as low as possible. This is particularly useful for shooting indoor, dimly lit sporting events or other situations where most cameras typically struggle.
The camera is also equipped with the same high-precision Fast Intelligent AF system as the α7R camera, with drastically improved low-light AF sensitivity that can go as low as -4EV.
Expanding α Mount System and New Power Zoom Lens for Movie Shooting
Directly compatible with the growing family of E-mount lenses, the α7S camera can also be used with A-mount and others lens systems with optional adapters. Sony’s complete α lens system now includes 54 total lenses for both A and E mounts, including several premium offerings from Carl Zeiss® and G Series Lenses.
As a whole, Sony’s E-mount lens system is particularly well-suited for video shooting, with a variety of models containing “movie-friendly” features like smooth focusing, powered zoom control, and silent iris/aperture control. Building on this, Sony has announced development of a brand new, full-frame power zoom 28-135mm F4 lens E-mount lens that is an ideal match for the powerful movie capabilities of the α7S model.
Pricing and availability of the α7S full-frame interchangeable lens camera will be announced at a future date. To learn more about the product in the meantime, please visit www.store.sony.com, and follow #SonyAlpha on twitter for the latest α camera news.
Notes to Editors:
1 Amongst interchangeable-lens digital cameras equipped with a 35mm full-frame image sensor, according to Sony research as of April 2014
2 Standard ISO range: Still 100 – 102400, Movie 200-102400; Expandable ISO range: Still 50-409600, Movie 200-409600
3 When used in 4K (24p/30p), HD(24p/30p) movie setting
4 Video baseband output
- Lens mount: α E-mount
- Type: 35mm full frame (35.6 x 23.8mm), Exmor CMOS sensor
- Number of pixels (effective): Approx. 12.2 megapixels
Recording system (still images)
- Recording format: JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver. 2.3, MPF baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format)
- RAW output: 14 bit
Recording system (movies)
- Recording format XAVC S / AVCHD format Ver. 2.0 compliant / MP4
- Video compression XAVC S: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- AVCHD: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Audio recording format XAVC S: LPCM, 2ch
- AVCHD: Dolby Digital (AC-3), 2ch, Dolby Digital Stereo Creator
- MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC, 2ch
- Image size (pixels): XAVC S: 1920 x 1080 (60p/50Mbps, 30p/50Mbps, 24p/50Mbps), 1280 x 720 (120p/50Mbps)
- AVCHD: 1920 x 1080 (60p/28Mbps/PS, 60i/24Mbps/FX, 60i/17Mbps/FH, 24p/24Mbps/FX, 24p/17Mbps/FH)
- MP4: 1440 x 1080 (30fps/12Mbps), 640 x 480 (30fps/3Mbps)
- Movie functions Audio Level Display, Audio Rec Level, Auto Slow Shutter, HDMI info. Display (On/Off selectable), Time Code/User Bit, Picture Profile, Creative Style, Picture Effect, Rec Control, Dual Video Rec, Marker Setting
- Picture Profile Yes (Off / PP1-PP7) Parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2), Black Gamma, Knee, Colour Mode, Colour Level, Colour Phase, Colour Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset
Clean HDMI output
- Output signal: 3840 × 2160(30p/24p) / 1920 × 1080(60p/60i/24p)YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit/ RGB 8bit
- Media: Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant)
- Type: Contrast-detection AF
- Focus point: 25 points
- Sensitivity range: EV -4 to EV 20 (at ISO 100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Metering type: 1200-zone evaluative metering
- ISO sensitivity Still images: ISO 100-102400, Movies: ISO 200-102400 equivalent (both expandable to 409600, for still: expandable down to 50)
- (Recommended Exposure Index)
- Type: XGA OLED, 1.3cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder (colour)
- Total no. of dots: 2,359,296 dots
- Field coverage 100%
- Magnification: Approx. 0.71x (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1)
- Type: 7.5cm (3.0 type) TFT drive
- Total number of dots: 921,600 dots
- Adjustable angle: Up approx. 90 degrees, down approx. 45 degrees
- PlayMemories Camera Apps: Yes
- Wireless LAN (built-in) Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz band)*1
- Playback of still images and movies on smartphones, PCs and TVs
- NFC™: Yes (NFC Forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing)
- Multi Interface Shoe: Yes
- HD output: HDMI micro connector (Type-D), BRAVIA Sync (link menu), PhotoTV HD, 4K still image playback
- Type: Electronically controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Shutter speed: Still images: 1/8000 to 30 sec., Bulb
- Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4 (1/3 step), Up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto Slow Shutter mode)
- Electronic front curtain shutter: Yes, On/Off
- Drive modes: Single shooting, Continuous shooing, Speed Priority Continuous shooting, Self-timer (10/2 sec. delay selectable), Self-timer (Cont.) (10 sec. delay, 3/5 exposures selectable), Bracketing (Cont., Single, White Balance, DRO)
- Speed (approx., max): Continuous shooting: Max. 2.5fps, Speed Priority Continuous Shooting: Max. 5.0fps
- * May vary depending onshooting conditions and media)
- Battery Rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50
- Still images Approx. 320 shots (viewfinder) / approx. 380 shots (LCD screen) (CIPA standard)
- Movies Actual*2: Approx. 55 min with viewfinder, approx. 60 min with LCD screen (CIPA standard)
- Continuous*3: Approx. 90 min with viewfinder, approx. 90 min with LCD screen (CIPA standard)
- External power: AC Adaptor AC-PW20 (optional)
- With battery and Memory Stick PRO Duo: Approx. 489g (approx. 1 lb 1.2 oz)
- Body only: Approx. 446g (approx. 15.7 oz)
- W x H x D (excluding protrusions)
- Approx. 126.9 x 94.4 x 48.2mm (approx. 5 x 3 3/4 x 1 15/16 in.)
- Range 32°-104°F / 0-40°C
Specifications and features are based on information available at the time of printing and are subject to change without notice.
*1 Configuration method/Access method: WPS or manually/infrastructure mode. When connecting to smartphones, the camera can always work as a base without a wireless access point. (Security: WEP/WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK)
*2 Indicated recording time is defined by repeating the following cycle: Power on, start recording, zoom, stand-by and power off.
*3 Indicated recording time is defined by repeating the following cycle: Pressing the MOVIE button. No other operations such as zoom are performed.