Geek Beat is one of the world’s most recognizable technology news brands, delivering daily tech news, tips, and reviews.
Geek Beat’s Mission Statement
Our mission, quite simply, is to enlighten, educate, and entertain.
The Geek Beat Code of Ethics
In keeping with our mission, all members of the Geek Beat team will adhere to the following standards:
- We will at all times exercise care to avoid inadvertent error, remain neutral, and never purposely distort the truth.
- Whenever possible, content will be vetted by a second team member prior to publication, and both the author and editor will own responsibility.
- Ensure that our headlines, photos and soundbites accurately reflect the content of our articles.
- Avoid bias and stereotyping by race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, geography, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance or social status.
- Actively keep watch against corporate or governmental abuses of technology which compromise individual privacy or restrict freedom.
- Encourage discussion, give voice to respectfully dissenting opinions, and admit and correct our mistakes.
- Disclose all instances where financial consideration has been exchanged, and never say anything in exchange for payment that we wouldn’t say for free.
It remains our standing policy to only focus on positive product reviews. The way we see it, there is no reason to write about a product only to advise the consumer not to purchase it. In fact, it is a waste of both the reader and the author’s valuable time, especially when it could be spent focusing on many other excellent products.
The one notable exception to this policy occurs on the rare occasion when we believe a product is receiving overwhelmingly positive, yet meritless press elsewhere. In these instances we may choose to publish a dissenting opinion for the benefit of the public at large. We will do this regardless of any negative backlash we may expect.
Geek Beat Sources of Funding
Although we are not a pure news reporting organization, we do hold ourselves to the same high standards of honesty and integrity. And we believe it’s important to understand the financial underpinnings of a news organization in order to earn trust. Our companies’ revenue comes from the following sources:
Advertisements Inserted Into Content
Just like traditional television news programming or newspaper articles, sponsor messaging is routinely inserted into our content. Sponsors have zero input into the journalistic creation of Geek Beat content, and are entirely unaware of what they are even sponsoring.
In other words, our ad sales and news gathering efforts are entirely independent and the various team members generally have zero contact with one another.
Professional Outsourced Content Production
Because our team is extremely experienced with various content production processes, including video and written content, we are often engaged to produce custom content for corporate clients. In this capacity we act in the exact same manner that a video production company would, and these corporate engagements have zero influence over our editorial teams and processes.
When content is produced for corporate clients, we do not distribute it under the Geek Beat brand, and when Geek Beat talent is utilized in the creation of paid content, the relationship is always disclosed and in all cases our talent will adhere to our own Code of Ethics.
Our talent is routinely hired to represent brands at trade events, speak at conferences or private events, and serve as brand spokespersons. These relationships will always be disclosed and in all cases our talent will adhere to our own Code of Ethics.
Since we review a large number of products, we attempt to provide links and references regarding product availability and pricing. In some cases we utilize links which pay a small commission when readers follow through and purchase a product.
These links are inserted by our Editors after the content is authored and submitted for publication. Geek Beat authors have zero incentive or knowledge as to whether any affiliate links will be present in submitted content.
In other words, we insert the affiliate links when we would already be linking to a product anyway, as a means of generating revenue to sustain operations.
From time to time, Geek Beat branded products and services are made available for purchase. Our current plans are to build out a fully functioning eCommerce platform that allows us to have an online store where items can be purchased at any time. For now, the process is entirely manual.
Statement of Independence
Livid Lobster, LLC., the parent company of Geek Beat, is entirely owned and controlled by John Pozadzides and Vi Vu. The company is debt free, and without obligation to any other entity.
The business has managed to grow funded solely by ongoing operations as a result of the diversified revenue approach. As with any business, seasonal and other variations mean that revenues from any one source can be unpredictable; however, as a whole the business achieves stability.
Yep, that’s why we call him John “P.”! He’s the host of Geek Beat and a noted industry expert on a wide number of technologies ranging from solar, to audio, to fabrication, and more. Did we mention he plays with fire a little too much?
John is Livid Lobster’s Chief Executive, with a downright impressive business background that included leadership roles in the Fortune 500, and successful startups as well.
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Behind the Scenes
It takes a dedicated team to make Geek Beat happen, what with all of the blogging, live streaming, video editing and more! Head on over and check out the rest of the Team at Geek Beat.
Geek Beat Distribution
Like most other shows we don’t publicly discuss all of our metrics, but here are a few KPIs we keep an eye on:
- Over 600K monthly views on YouTube
- Daily show is downloaded as a podcast over 1 million times per month and also distributed by the Discovery Network.
- The Live show, on average, is watched 200,000 times monthly.
- Special Live event coverage can receive 250-500k viewers over the course of a single day.
- We promote episodes and product reviews across all manner of social networks, to over 2.9 million followers!
- The Live show is also broadcast on the Youtoo Television Network nationwide in the US. Youtoo currently broadcasts to 29M households.