If there is one app I find most important on the Mac, it’s 1Password. It allows me to keep my passwords managed and secure without really having to deal with it all. With the Mac, you have browser extensions and menu bar controls. This makes it really convenient to use. With iPassword 4, I have all my passwords, but getting them involves switching between apps and copying and pasting. That’s better than having to remember dozens of 20-digit random passwords or being insecure, but it’s still less than ideal. That all changes with 1Password 5 and iOS 8. The app becomes much much more convenient to use and Agile Bits is also taking the opportunity to introduce a new freemium business model
Let’s talk about the new pricing model first. The base app can do a lot of the basic features of 1Password. You can create and edit your password logins, credit cards, secure notes, and identities. You also get the ability to sync. This uses physical files and Dropbox (at least that’s the most convenient way) to sync across computers and mobile platforms. The paid Pro version, which is a single purchase, will give you additional categories to store information, access to switch between multiple password vaults, and a lot of organization features. Knowing all the things the desktop version does, it might be worth the extra money. If you’re a 1Password 4 owner, you don’t have to worry. You get a free upgrade to 1Password 5 Pro.
1Password 5 is also built for iOS 8. It makes great use of extensibility allowing you to use it in Safari and presumably other iOS browsers that support extensions. You don’t have to leave your browser anymore. If you update a login in the extension, it updates the main app. For security, 1Password makes immediate use of Apple opening up TouchID. You don’t need 1Password, you now just need 1 thumb or index finger or whatever else you want to use. When 1Password 5 for OS X Yosemite arrives, the iOS app will also make great use of CloudKit. The new version also makes great use of iOS 8’s adaptive design, so you’ll have the best experience on an iPhone or iPad.
1Password 5 is available free in the iOS app store. The Pro upgrade costs new users $9.99 and is free to owner of 1Password 4. The big question is whether all of this works as advertised. I’ll answer that question in my upcoming full review.
1Password 5 for iOS
1Password 5 for iOS 8 is here with Touch ID, direct Safari integration (finally!), App Extensions for your favorite apps, Wi-Fi Sync with attachments, freemium pricing, and so much more! Best of all, it’s a free upgrade for existing v4 customers. Please contact email@example.com for review and interview requests, App Store codes, and any other questions you have!
* Existing 1Password 4 for iOS owners get version 5 and all Pro features you see below for the low, low price of free!
* Now everyone can start saving time and get secure online with 1Password.
* When you’re ready to save more time and secure more of your life in 1Password, Upgrade to Pro with a single in-app purchase.
* The free version can create and edit Logins, Credit Cards, Identities, and Secure Notes, and sync with 1Password for Mac, iOS, Windows, and Android.
* Pro features unlock all category types, Multiple Vaults, organizing with folders and tags, custom fields, and more.
Unlock with a finger
* Your wish is our command – Unlock 1Password with Touch ID is finally here!
* Yes, even when using our brand new iOS 8 App Extension in Safari and other apps!
* Yep, you read that right.
Safari + 1Password, together at last
* Never go on safari solo – log in with 1Password with a single tap!
* Old ‘n busted: App hopping to grab Logins, credit card details, or Identity addresses.
* New hotness: fill Logins, and soon Credit Cards and Identities, directly into web pages without ever leaving Safari.
1Password + your favorite apps
* Call forth the power of 1Password’s App Extension to log into your favorite apps with just a tap!
* Update passwords in supported apps, 1Password updates your item.
* Encourage all your apps to support the 1Password Extension!
iCloud now goes to 11
* We rebuilt it—faster, better, stronger using Apple’s new CloudKit technology.
* CloudKit requires 1Password 5 on iOS 8 and 1Password 5 for OS X 10.10, coming soon!
UI for every screen
* Whether your iOS 8 device is an iPhone 4S, iPad Air, or iPhone 6 Plus, 1Password is dressed for the occasion.
Everything turn, turn, turn
* Wifi Sync-alicious – now with automatic sync to Mac. It also now syncs your attachments! Told you it was licious.
* Dropbox improvements – Twice the drop, 5x the box. Reliability and speed improvements all around.
All the other great stuff
* An even better new user introduction for all you new 1Password users!
* Pin Code screen got a shave and a haircut
* The usual under the hood oil change and routine optimizations and maintenance.
Why take 1Password 5 for iOS freemium?
It’s simple, really. We believe every man, woman, and child needs help to save time and get secure online. Going free means we get to bring simple, convenient security to more people than ever before.
Now, everyone can use the Strong Password Generator to create unique passwords for all their accounts, then log in with a single tap. 1Password is the best way to stay secure and the fastest way to use the web.
Because the free version syncs with other editions for Mac, Windows, and Android, everyone can get started on iOS and buy 1Password for the platforms they need. It’s an awesome way to get secure and support a great company with world-class human-powered customer service that loves you.
1Password is a password manager and secure wallet that saves you time and makes you more secure online. It integrates directly with desktop browsers and works on mobile devices to log you into websites and apps with a single tap, enter credit card information, fill registration forms, and easily generate strong, unique passwords for all your accounts.
For travelers and multi-platform users, 1Password is available for Mac, iOS, Windows, and Android. Whether you are on a train or in a plane, your 1Password “vault” stays with you thanks to iCloud, Dropbox, and Local Wi-Fi Sync.
1Password gives you the security you need in today’s online world without slowing you down. It makes you more productive and increases your security at the same time with strong, unique passwords for all your accounts. This way, 1Password prevents a breach at one account from becoming a break-in at all of them.
1Password is great for families and work teams thanks to Multiple & Shared Vaults. Whether you want to share an entire vault or just the home Wi-Fi and Netflix passwords, sharing is both easy and secure.
1Password is loved by millions because it’s simple, convenient security.
Press materials and contact:
Apps that integration 1Password: