There’s nothing I hate more than looking at unruly wires and cables! But, as a geek, it’s a part of life. What if you could organize them better for free?
Manage Unruly Cables for Free: Tip #1
You know those big binder clips sitting in your drawer that you rarely use? Grab a few.
- Run the cables along the back edge of your desk.
- Put a binder clip every 6 inches or a foot apart.
Now… if your desk is setup in a manner where you’ll see the tops of the clips and don’t want that, simply move the cables from the back of the desk to UNDERNEATH the desk and use duct tape to secure them!
Manage Unruly Cables for Free: Tip #2
If you find yourself having to trace cables down from the monitor all the way to the floor just to figure out what it is you’re unplugging, use bread tags to label your cables. Use a different one (or even different color!) for your monitor, speaker, computer, TV, etc. They’ll be out of sight as long as your power cord is and it’ll eliminate some major headaches!
Manage Unruly Cables for Free: Tip #3
A good way to deal with long cables that are just hanging and dangling is by wrapping them up.
- Figure out how much slack you need to leave.
- Then wrap up the rest by wrapping the cable in a circle… BUT… press the center to cinch it together.
- Then, a little ways from the end, start wrapping the rest of the cable around what you’ve folded in a tight, neat pattern.
- Slip the end through the loop you’ve made.
I hope that helps. If you have ideas that I didn’t list, I’d love to hear them! Leave a comment below.
More tips at geekbeat.tv/tipaday. Learn something new every day!