Day 1 of the #GetFit Project has begun! And I gotta say…I’m PUMPED! But first things first…
What IS the #GetFit Project?
Simply put, John P. and I are training to get in better shape and feel better about ourselves. It’s something we ALL struggle with as human beings. When we’re not exercising, we feel sluggish and are less productive. And over the last few years, every time John P. does one of his Health Challenges… or I talk about testing new sport earbuds… you guys have always shown an overwhelming interest in the topic.
So, while we focus on the tech market, let’s face it! Geeks are not JUST into gadgets. We all have multiple personalities, right? We have interests in MANY things! So, we thought, why not do this TOGETHER? Let’s encourage each other. Be in pain together. And feel better together!
It’s often said that working out is more effective with a buddy. Well, we have an INTERNATIONAL system of buddies… the Geek Beat Community. And no one ever said that our partners couldn’t be online. 🙂
BTW, if you’re wondering how HE’S fairing with all this, check out his Day 1 Update.
Meet the Trainers
Jeff Dwelle and Todd Abrams are the expert trainers who will be whipping us into shape! You can learn all about them from our Q&A below. And be sure to follow them on social media!
As we’ve talked about the #GetFit Project over the last week, many of you have asked me why I feel like I need to do this. It’s not like I’m completely out of shape.
Okay. Fair question.
This year, I’ve been VERY inconsistent about working out. I’ve had a lot going on (in particular the process of buying a building!), and like everyone does, I let go of the priority of getting to the gym. And I’ve felt it. I’ve been tired (how many yawns did you count in the last LIVE show?). I’ve felt sluggish.
When I’m consistent about getting to the gym, I’m WAY more productive and feel great. So really, besides toning up, my goals are:
- Feel better and more energetic
- Learn how to create a LIFESTYLE! At the end of this project, I want to have set my ways for a future of being consistent, rather than having a very off-again/on-again fitness life.
First Day Scramble!
Saturday, John and I sat down with Jeff for an assessment. We told him everything about us. Our eating habits. Our schedules. Our goals. Everything. Then, he took ALL that information and created meal plans and an exercise schedule for each of us.
You can see those here:
- Training schedule – geekbeat.tv/get-fit-training
- Nutrition program – geekbeat.tv/get-fit-food (coming soon!)
Bright and early at 6:00 AM this morning, we received the plans. They include protein drinks and whey powder and all sorts of stuff I have NO idea about! I’m going to be learning a lot…
Well, we certainly didn’t have any of this stuff, so we went to GNC to pick it up. Oops! They only had a couple of the items. So we were at a loss. And by then, we were way past deadlines on our program! I have 4 meals plus a pre-workout drink and a post-workout drink.
So, we did our best to stay on the idea of the plans. We went to Chipotle and I got lettuce, chicken, rice and salsa. No extra stuff. Just lean protein and carbs. And veggies. John P. certainly didn’t have any of those!
Anyway… by tomorrow we should have everything we need to do this right! And Todd is making sure we have prepared meals delivered to us that fit our plans, and help make it easier to eat with such a busy schedule!
OH! I’ve gotten a lot of questions about coffee. I don’t have to give up my coffee! Yay! But I do have to switch to fat-free creamer. The Splenda is apparently okay. Whew!
Though… I haven’t gotten up the nerve to ask about Bacon yet.
Day 1: The Results
The question everyone keeps asking is…
How was Day 1? Are you dead yet?
Because today really was only a test. They didn’t want to push us. They wanted to figure out where we were, and what we can handle. So the next few days will REALLY tell the story of what they have in store for us.
Today’s plan included 30-40 minutes of Upper Body Circuit Training & Plyometrics, plus 15 minutes of Cardio. We did a lot of different exercises, and I did really well through most of them.
Shoulder Presses were BY FAR the hardest thing for me! It takes a muscle I don’t use often, so hopefully I’ll see some improvement there over the next couple months. I really could have done more abs than I did. But… I didn’t tell him that. Is that bad? LOL!
Tomorrow… Lower Body Conditioning. We’ll see how that goes!
Participate! Or… just laugh at us.
I know a lot of you are wanting to follow along and participate, and we can’t wait to do this WITH you! Here’s how you can do that:
- Take a look at the program that our trainers have put together. Food – geekbeat.tv/get-fit-food & Exercise Schedule – geekbeat.tv/get-fit-training Remember – this is a program that was put together for our specific dietary needs, schedules and goals. Everyone will be slightly different.
- We’ll keep posting about our progress here from time to time. Keep an eye on geekbeat.tv/getfit for all our updates. We’ll try to give even more frequent updates to our Patrons and more details.
- Let’s chat about it on our Forums! What are YOU doing to #GetFit? How’s your progress? Let the community help when you’re struggling! We’re all here for each other.
- Of course, we’ll talk about it on Google+ & Twitter. We hope you will too. Be sure to use the Hashtag #GetFit.
Let’s DO this!!!