Today Toddy Gear, a manufacturer of cleaning cloths and tablet stands, announced that not only were they moving manufacturing back to the US from China – but they had already done so! Personally, I think this is a fantastic business decision, and one that we’ll see many smart executives making going forward.
The World Has Fundamentally Changed… Again
In decades past the US economy was growing rapidly, unemployment was extremely low, and costs of production were high (property cost, employee cost, infrastructure cost); while many nations were extremely under-developed with massive unemployment and a highly educated workforce. It made a lot of sense to offshore manufacturing, and we saw an extreme shift towards such practices.
In fact, those companies who didn’t make the move didn’t survive. But the world is a very different place today.
China, once envied for its low cost production capacity, is now exporting as much or more than the US. They’ve become a global powerhouse, and as a result are less dependent on US capital for sustained growth. There is far less competition for US business than in the past, making it more difficult for small businesses to find reliable partners.
The Grass is Definitely Not Greener
We’ve seen many, many tech startups rely on manufacturing in China only to experience a litany of headaches including missed delivery dates, poor workmanship, failure to meet specifications, and basically a requirement of having constant micromanagement in order to attempt to minimize risk and ensure project completion.
These are not characteristics found with US based workforces. And I’m glad to see that Toddy Gear recognizes the benefits to local production far outweigh the costs, including – as they alluded to in the press release – the protection of their own intellectual property.
The Full Press Release
Toddy Gear Brings Manufacturing to United States
Stylish, microfiber tech accessory developer began relocating 100% of its manufacturing to Chicago on February 1, 2013
Chicago, IL (February 12, 2013) – Toddy Gear, creator of the Toddy Smart Cloth and the Wedge, is pleased to reveal U.S. manufacturing plans for 2013. Starting February 1st, the company transferred all manufacturing of its products from China to the U.S, specifically Chicago, where Toddy Gear is based. As a result, Toddy Gear will provide better speed to market for products and deliver improved product quality. Toddy Gear’s revamp in manufacturing has already created more U.S. jobs and is forecasted to grow even further given the market demand for flexibility.
“We are a socially responsible company who strives to deliver impeccable products to our customers by promoting and influencing best business practices,” said Toddy Gear founder, Todd Gabel. “Our plans to solely manufacture in the United States will protect our intellectual property, while allowing us to keep our products unique, and focus our resources on quality, adaptability and controlling costs.”
Toddy Gear is a trend-setting consumer brand that boasts a unique line of tech accessories such as the Toddy Cloth and the Toddy Wedge. Each is a microfiber cleaning solution that polishes the surface of your iPhone, iPad, Android, TV, gaming device, glasses or camera. The products deliver premium quality in keeping gadgets clean and are made to fit comfortably in your pocket or backpack.
Toddy Gear: Toddy Wedge
Hand-crafted stylish and essential companion for your electronics both cleans and holds your mobile device
• Multi-faceted design cleans touch screen devices while propping them up on your desk, at home or on the go
• Bottom exterior crafted with plush microfiber material to offer scratch-free cleaning without the need of harmful fluids
• Exterior engineered with silky microfiber that leaves your surfaces with that fresh “out of box” clean look
• Available in a plethora of different colors and designs to match anyone’s preference
• Optional customization feature for businesses – print your favorite team’s logo, office logo, or quotes for a one-of-a-kind Wedge to promote brands
Toddy Gear: Toddy Smart Cloth
Carefully handcrafted microfiber cloth provides effective, scratch-free cleaning for your iDevices, screens, lenses and more, features an antimicrobial coating, and is offered in a plethora of fashionable designs
• Functional and fashionable toddy cloth built for cleaning extremely sensitive surfaces including iPhone, iPad, TV’s, glasses, cameras, etc.
• Protected with the AEGIS Microbe Shield® technology – a durable, environmentally friendly way to instantly wipe away dirt and smudges
• Dual-sided cleaning: Plush microfiber material on one side to clean and a distinctively patterned silk microfiber on the other side to buff and polish
• No messy/damaging sprays or fluids necessary
• “Brand your Toddy” now available to businesses, imprint your Toddy smart cloth with your own design or logo, ideal for promoting your brand
Contact PR Representative Kristen Bean at 305-374-4404 x123 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information on Toddy Gear, its latest manufacturing plan for 2013 and its innovative products, the Toddy Smart Cloth and Wedge. www.toddygear.com
About Toddy Gear
Toddy Gear is an innovative and fashionable tech accessory brand dedicated to cleaning your screen and coloring your world. The company is the manufacturer of Toddy Cloth, the Toddy Wedge, and the new Screensters, three microfiber cleaning solutions with antimicrobial protection that deliver smart and stylish ways to clean and polish todays high-resolution touchscreens and high-tech gear. The Toddy innovations are the brainchildren of Todd Gabel, a twenty-year entrepreneurial veteran that has successfully built and sold several technology companies. The Toddy Gear products are available worldwide through ToddyGear.com, Amazon.com and retailers like Target, Radio Shack and Staples.